Saturday, April 10, 2010

What about ME?

This is the trailer for a new UK documentary about CFS entitled, "What about ME?"  ME, of course, is a double entendre because it also refers to the UK name for the disease, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).  As Alison noted over at Blog Wormwood, "sounds much scarier, doesn't it?"

I haven't been able to get the website (http://www.whataboutme.biz/) to work, but here is what Alison had to say about the making of this documentary:

On their list of people interviewed, I recognize Dr. Sarah Myhill, Dr. Charles Shepherd, and Anette Whittmore, founder of the Whittmore-Peterson Institute, which funded the groundbreaking XMRV study.

"People are suffering. But they are being told it’s all in the mind. Our aim is to investigate ME further, to put the plight of an ME sufferer in the public’s consciousness and to encourage further research and health policy reform. We hope to spread the word through this website which will have videos and podcasts on ME, short virals on the ME situation delivered multi-platform, a TV documentary aimed at a prime-time audience, a worldwide theatrical release and a docu-drama dramatizing an ME sufferer’s struggle, based on the novel “The State of Me,” by Nasim Marie Jafry."
I'd like to get my hands on that novel, and I really hope that this documentary gets made, because this story needs to be told.  Here's the trailer... it's definitely worth a watch, even if you don't know anything about CFS/ME.

14 comments:

  1. Great to see that promo! I will be waiting for the documentary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME is used a lot more over here, and I don't really like it. It has such negative connotations. The media used to call CFS/ME 'yuppie flu' and if I say I have CFS, sometimes known as ME to some people they immediatly think yuppie flu or I'm making it up!

    I suppose it's whatever you're comfortable with.
    It's fantastic that the documentary is getting made- a great way of raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and yes about the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for spreading awareness!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an excellent trailer. If the movie is that well put together it can really do some good. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn, this is amazing. I cried because I had a child who became sick with this horrible disease - she was 12 at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on chronic babe. Great blog!! I'll be following you because I love your blog!

    Renee' (aka Shalunya)
    http://gypsyshalunya.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robyn -

    This looks good - I've been hearing a lot about it lately. There's also a US-made CFS documentary called I Remember Me which is excellent. I got it on amazon about 7 years ago, so I don't know if it's still available, but it was very well done and even included some CFS celebrities, like Michele Akers and Blake Edwards (this was before Seabiscuit).

    And The State of Me is a wonderful novel!! I reviewed it when it first came out:

    http://bookbybook.blogspot.com/2008/11/fiction-state-of-me.html

    The author has a blog at:

    http://velo-gubbed-legs.blogspot.com/

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reblogging, and thanks for your comment. I almost cried when reading it! :) I know the feelings your describing so well, seeing old professors, agh. I didn't know you were so close to graduating. That's so great! You'll have to make it, you're so close.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this information. I will definitely be checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey robyn, yes, the drama-documentary is very exciting, we must all keep our fingers crossed... am guessing you are in usa, i know that the book depository uk sends books free delivery, if that is helpful.

    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

    take care

    NASIM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Robyn,

    Thanks for posting this. I hope they show it in the U.S. Maybe, finally, more people will pay attention us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i got my hands on a copy of the book (on book depository - cheapest i've found) and was absolutely thrilled to find something that mirrored my own experience in so many ways. ordering more copies and loaning it to people to give them so more insight into this illness.

    can't wait for the doco - hoping like mad it's shown here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a fantastic and informative film - cant wait for it!

    Thanks for letting us know about it

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails