Thursday, September 8, 2011

On a dark and stormy night...

The east coast is NUTS tonight.  Seriously, not to talk about the weather, but what's up with the weather?! Earthquake, hurricane, floods... if Godzilla rose out of the Potomac and started bashing monuments, I don't think I'd even bat an eyelash.
I swear I thought of this joke before I found this picture.
This is going to sound trivial in the face of natural disasters, but that's only because it is, so if you're someone who takes offense to people being anything less than super serious at all times, you are really on the wrong blog.  Shoo. Away with you. We'll all wait.

Right, so I wore my new shoes to work today.  Obviously I don't check the weather (my sister, the meteorology grad student, would truly be shocked). So when it came time to leave work, I didn't want to get my new shoes wet (calf-hair leopard-print flats-- noooot exactly rain boots).  So, I took them off when I got far enough away from the important offices, and made a run for my car, barefoot.  Apparently my running barefoot in the rain skills are way out of practice, because I fell HARD CORE, scraped both my knees and my elbows, got completely soaked in the couple inches of rain that were forming a river in the parking lot... it was very embarrassing for all involved (me). It was also rather painful. So, wah wah wah, I fell and got some boo boos, but it was kind of hilarious from a bird's eye view and I'm almost sorry from a comedic standpoint that nobody saw it.  I mean, I scraped my knees, and I didn't even make someone else feel more graceful? Lame.

But that's not the point of this blog post!  I feel the need to start a bit of a new chapter.  I may redesign the blog, I may move it to wordpress, and I may even rename it.  I'll keep y'all in the loop if I do decide to do all this, but I was reminded today by one of my favorite local bloggers how enriching blogging can be, and how much I miss it. I barely even write these days when it's not required for work, and I wonder if that's part of the funk I've been in off and on over the course of the summer.

I've found a new doctor (more on that later), am relatively settled in at my job, and am super happy with my awesome boyfriend, but I still feel like a lot is missing.  Like, hobbies, for one thing.  I've had so much going on that I feel like, just when I was starting to figure out what my hobbies were (it's always been a weird question for me), I abandoned the search. I've been less vigilant about editing my life, filling it with the things that bring me joy and push me forward, and leaving the margins to enjoy the moment and roll with the punches.

So I'm working on those things again.  I reconnected with some old friends, am looking for a spiritual outlet that fits me, am considering finding an affordable yoga class in the area. Maybe most significantly (time will tell), I signed up for some Stratejoy "Joy Juice" journal prompts and have started, albeit rather feebly, to work through them and ask myself those hard questions again. Self examination, in my personal experience, is never a bad thing, and I'm hoping to make some discoveries that will enrich my life as well as the lives around me!

What changes are you making in your life recently?  
What are the things you do that make you feel  like the best possible you?

1 comment:

  1. I just started Joy Juice too. After just one prompt, I'm finding myself thinking more purposefully and that I know answers in my heart that my head just hasn't been asked yet.

    Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails