Friday, February 19, 2010

I'd like to thank the academy...

"You like me! You really like me!" (Sally Fields)

"Gee, this isn't like I imagined it would be in my bathtub." (Dianne Wiest)

"This is one night I wished I smoked and drank." (Grace Kelly)

"I just want to thank everybody I've ever met in my entire life." (Kim Basinger)

"Can I have my champagne now?" (Cate Blanchett)
_____________________________________________________________________________

By now, you should have guessed, but I'll tell you anyway... I won an award!

Thank you to Annie over at It's Time to Get Over How Fragile You Are for passing this award on to me... Annie is one of my favorite people I've  met through blogging.  Her writing is always so relatable, whether she's making me empathize, think, or laugh (she makes me laugh a lot).  If you guys haven't met her yet, you should really head over to her blog... I guarantee you won't regret it!

I'm supposed to list 10 things about myself, so I'll give it a shot.  Bear with me; this is always the part I dread most about "get to know you"s... I love reading them, but it's hard to think of 10 list-worthy things about oneself! Ack!
  1. I'm seriously obsessed with Europe.  This is nothing that unique, I realize, but I love their lifestyle and the way they incorporate beauty into their everyday lives.  I spent a semester living in Venice, Italy, and I still think back on that semester as the time in my life when I felt most alive.  I wasn't always happy, but when I was happy, I was on cloud nine; when I was sad, I was devastated; when I was angry, I was livid.  I was so in love with that city that every emotion was magnified, and I can't imagine a better way to live than fully.
  2. I have a really irreverent sense of humor.  I try to tone it down-- I come from a long line of proper, conservative women, who then come out and say something ridiculous that makes me think, "Maybe I'm not adopted after all..."  My best friend, M, and I have this in common, and we have often commiserated over such inappropriate reactions such as giggling at times we shouldn't (funerals, for instance), cracking jokes when it's "too soon," and just taking everything that one extra step... It's just the way we deal with life, I think, but I definitely don't mean to offend anyone by it.  I'd like to quickly defend this by quoting Mark Twain:
    • "Everything human is pathetic. The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no humor in heaven."
    • "The funniest things are the forbidden."
    • "Humor is the good natured side of a truth."
  3.  I watch Chelsea Lately every night.
  4. I've had to come home early from college three times, and somehow it never gets any easier.  Every single time, it was embarrassing, shameful, and devastating.
  5. For some reason, I can never spell "embarrassing" right the first time I write it.  I'm a pretty good speller, but I never add the second "r"... how embarassing.
  6. I am a veritable cat lady at the ripe old age of 23.  We have 3 cats in my house, and I am constantly cuddling them or following stalking them around the house with my camera to catch them doing silly things.  I use Youtube for the sole purpose of looking up funny cat videos (this is a good one). I think it's unfair that cat people get such a bad rap!
  7. I went to a conservative private university in North Carolina called Wake Forest.  It was there that I found out I am not southern.  Not even a little bit.  I don't have anything against the south-- most of my best friends now are southern!-- but Northern Virginia is not the south.
  8. I also found out I am not conservative. Or private.
  9. I am the oldest of three girls.  Three girls and no boys.  We have a plaque in our powder room that says "There is a special bathroom in heaven for the father of three girls."  Ain't that the truth.  Both of my baby sisters are always showing off too-- Jessie, 21, is  adorable, sweet, and doing fantastic at college in meteorology. She also spent the summer in Zambia helping orphans.  Orphans?? C'mon!  Bethany, 14, has already written more novels than I have, plays the guitar and piano beautifully, writes really impressive songs, and is cute and hilarious to boot.  The nerve of them!
  10. I've definitely become more irritable in the past 2 1/2 years that I've been sick.  I try to monitor my moods and not punish others unfairly, but my personal pet peeves include:
    • When my dad asks me a question, then absent-mindedly walks out of the room
    • People who ask me "how are you?" as a greeting instead of a personal question.  Such a tease!
    • When people are obsessed with status.  I once went on a dinner with a friend where we met up with a bunch of Libertarian friends of his and this older guy who owned a flat in Georgetown (a high-end area of DC).  Once they all figured out I was living at home, sick, and hadn't finished college, they pretty much ignored me for the rest of the night.  The best example of their snobbery?  Their favorite joke was telling people they went to Princeton Law School.  Get it??? Because it doesn't exist??? Har-har-har.
    • Drivers or pedestrians that cut in front of me.  In the words of Carrie Bradshaw, "Oh, you're SOOOO busy!"


Ok, I guess that last one was a time I used youtube for something other than cat-stalking.  Damn, already contradicted myself.

Time to pass on the love!

 If I have picked your blog, please post the award on your blog and pay it forward, and then leave a comment on the person’s blog to let them know.  I want to read details about my favorite people!!!

I choose to award:
Thanks for reading, everyone! 

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I laughed so hard when I read the opening to this that I nearly fell off the couch!

    Excellent list because I'm nosy and want to know everything about everyone. Also, because you are the funniest sick person I know haha.

    My word verification was distioni haha...not like wings...I'm pretty sure I don't even get words :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so much fun, loved reading it. And don't you love how every quote ever in the world (I exaggerate slightly) is attributed to Mark Twain? Just a random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the middle of three girls, and I think my dad loves it, as much as he says he has always wanted a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just wandered over to your blog from Annie's awards page. I also had to leave college mid semester...let's see...3 normal times, once during a summer class, and one more time but at least the last time I got a prorated grade in one of the classes.

    "Once they all figured out I was living at home, sick, and hadn't finished college, they pretty much ignored me for the rest of the night. "

    This was my biggest fear when I began to finally realize I might be too sick to ever finish school. It happens, but then I just feel better about myself for not being an asshole like they are.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails